Sunday 11 September 2011

Learning my way

After spending the last 4 days in London I think it's time for another post.
It felt strange today, on this 10 year anniversary of 9/11, to be wandering around a city who doesn't commemorate it like we do. I haven't located the route the my local Catholic church, there are no memorials or commemorations everywhere as I know I could expect at home. It has saddened me but in my own "minute of silence" I was able to remember this day which no one will ever forget and say a pray for the friends and families who lost loved ones that day.
As for my wanderings....I haven't had the chance to wander around Greenwich much yet but I have been all over central London the last 2 days!
All day Saturday was spent familiarizing myself with my route to school which does involve 3 train/tube changes but was surprisingly fun and easy! (I am already preferring sitting on the train to sitting in traffic!) Ethan, my friend out here, has been tremendously helpful in helping me search for my campus and find the appropriate means of getting there. We walked ALL OVER central London Saturday and Sunday---we explored the market at Covent Garden, wandered through China town (it smelled so good!) and walked through waterloo, up and down the Thames. I really enjoy walking and find it an ideal way to discover the city.

I have also been running errands with my roommates to try and get our flat in order as well as get ourselves settled here for the next year. We opened bank accounts, got cell phones up and working, and of course, did more shopping! I went ballistic over the HUGE disney store we found, it has a castle in it and is 2 stories!

London is filled with (what seems like) mostly American stores, it's just like walking up and down 3rd Street promenade or Desert Ridge! Well, besides the fact that all their stores are in buildings that are hundreds of years old.

I'm happy to say that I believe I am done being jet-lagged which is a relief because it really is quite disorienting. I finally have international orientation this week, Sept 14-Sept 16 and at that point I will meet some more international students as well as find out more about my courses. School unfortunately does not start for a couple more weeks but I guess that gives me time to get back in to school mode which my brain is refusing to accept is happening again.



Big news of the week is that we are getting wifi! hopefully my updates will be frequent and pictures will come more rapidly. I guess I shouldn't guarantee that as school will be very busy.
I promise to keep you as updated as possible!

Love from London,
Xx Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment