Friday 23 September 2011

I feel very lucky today


While I continue to wait for school to start I have tried to take advantage of all my free time by seeing as many sites as possible. Twice this week I have been fortunate enough to visit the Imperial War Museum. They have a special exhibit going on until the end of the month called "Once Upon a Time: Classic War Stories For Children" and it is an exhibit dedicated to how children were affected by the war. Now earlier this week when I first walked through I spent over TWO HOURS reading every book, looking at every picture and trying to comprehend how a child could have survived such trials at these very young ages. Today, on my return trip with Mariel, I spent another 3 hours in the same exhibit but for over 2 of those hours I was lucky enough to speak with an evacuee, Ken Lester, who was a child during the war! WOW. The stories he had....the happiness he has discovered since the war....He was an inspiration. He told us about a Christmas he was lucky enough to spend with his whole family (mother, father, brother). He told us about air raid shelters and all of east London being on fire after the bombings. And he was more than willing to answer any and all questions we had for him. He was very kind and had a jolly laugh (he looks a little like Santa Clause too!) It wasn't just the war he was interested in talking about though. He asked us about what we were doing in London and was very curious about many of the current events and happenings of the United States (as everyone seems to be when they find out we are American). I feel very lucky to have been able to speak with him and for so long! He told us that we were like family after having talked to him for so long and he showed us pictures of him as a child and him with his family. He also still had his last ration card for food and clothing and some of the old money that England used before the early 70's when they changed to their current system.
I have always been fascinated with history and even growing up I remember reading a lot of diaries. This was even cooler because well....because it was in person!
After spending over 5 hours in just one exhibit in this museum I can not wait to go back and explore the other 3 1/2 floors! I am already certain this will be my favorite museum in London.

Mariel and I also had fun taking touristy pictures of Big Ben and the London Eye. We have done A LOT of walking these past 2 days and we were joking around about getting a pedometer to track how many miles we walk this year. Anyone have one of those cereal box ones?! haha We decided that one of these days we are going to go on a walking tour of all of London and do a tourist photo shoot. We will be obnoxious and in the way of everyone. It will be perfect.
Maybe I will wait for people to visit as all the places I want pictures other people are bound to want pictures as well.
Well family and friends, this has been the majority of week 3 here for me. I have thoroughly enjoyed exploring my new city and I can't wait to show it off when you come to visit!






Love From London!
Kristin
 XxXxXx

No comments:

Post a Comment