Saturday 10 March 2012

Travels with Daddy

The past week has been a blur of traveling and enjoying time with my dad who has been here in London with me! We have been having a wonderful time in Manchester, Chester, London and today we head off to Prague for a few days!
Okay, back up, back up....
March 2nd I went to pick up my dad from the airport. After waiting over 2 hours to go through Customs and baggage I finally saw him come through the secret double doors that hide the long hallway from those patiently (or not so patiently) waiting to see loved ones they haven't seen in what feels like ages. It was a very happy reunion and we caught up the whole train ride home. The next day we wandered around Greenwich, pausing to take pictures in the park, walk through the National Maritime Museum and stroll through the market eating spicy chorizo and chips! It was a good day out and about in the beautiful Greenwich area and I realize more so than ever how much I love it over here! As busy and hectic as Greenwich Town Center can get, it's much slower than central London and not quite as many tourists which is always a plus in my eyes. 
Piece of the Bible
Very early the next morning we headed off to Manchester! Before you say anything, no we did not get to see a "football" game and yes, we actually did find plenty to do in this very industrial city. It was fun because I honestly enjoy traveling to places most people wouldn't bother checking out. We found the John Ryland's Library which is GORGEOUS and filled with SUPER old books including Shakespeare plays and some of the first science books. Some of the rooms reminded me of the shop from Beauty and the Beast that Belle visits at the beginning of the movie! Heaven. There was also a small piece of what has been dated to be one of the first Bible's in the WORLD. That blows my mind. So anyways we spent an hours-ish in there and then headed over to the Museum of Science and Industry, or MOSI, and we spent hours in there! 
Imperial War Museum
(during the fire alarm!)
See Manchester is one of the first industrial cities in the world and practically started the industrial revolution. They were at the forefront of textiles and machinery and we got to see a demonstration of how cotton is made- from picked off the plant to a piece of cloth- and it was so cool! These machines are monstrous and I can't remember the statistic but lots of people (often children) died handling these machines that moved quickly and relentlessly and didn't notice if it took a finger, arm (yes, one machine was known to rip off whole body parts if even a tiny piece of your clothing got stuck to it), or even a life.  The museum also had a whole building for trains! This was so, SO cool because you could see into them and they had one that was cut down the center so you could see how it was made etc... The next day we ended up spending 6 hours in the Imperial War Museum which I am very grateful my dad was just as excited to do as I was! I think we made it through just about every exhibit and more than ever I love these museums! 
While in Manchester we also wanted to go see the historic town of Chester and though we planned on spending one full day there we ended up only getting to spend a few hours. I came down with a nasty flu of some kind and not being able to guarantee I'd have a bathroom, trash can, or other receptacle of some kind next to me every moment of the day we decided it best for me to just stay in bed. Chester is sooo pretty though and I'm hoping to make time to go back before I leave here. 
The last two days have been spent in London doing some more touring of the city and enjoying just being here. We listened to the Evensong at Westminster Abbey which seems more and more beautiful every time I listen to it and we also listened to the end of a debate in the House of Commons in the Houses of Parliament which I found pretty neat even though it was about fish or something...hahah anyways. 
So in a few hours here we are heading off to Prague and although it is supposed to be freezing cold I am very excited to explore its rich history! Bundled up in my ski jacket and not forgetting my scarf and gloves I think it will be an excellent trip! 

Love from London,
Kristin

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so fun love!! Glad your dad is visiting!! :)

    ReplyDelete