Tuesday 13 March 2012

Czech Us Out!

Hey, I never claimed to be funny. Or puny for that matter. 

But YES! Daddy and I traveled to the Czech Republic for the last 3 days and it was so beautiful! We arrived Saturday evening and were first and foremost pleasantly surprised to find out our "hotel" was actually apartments and fairly large ones at that! One big bedroom, two bathrooms, and a living room. They had an AMAZING Italian restaurant connected to the reception area where I continued to eat far too much ever day but that's okay because I realized it had been quite a long time since I had had Italian food and I missed it. 

Wenceslas Square
Anyways, the next two days involved wandering the city trying to locate ourselves on the map and figure out which towns and squares we were in. We saw the castle (DUH!), the Jewish Quarter, The Old Town Square and New Town. I tried to go on a tour at one point but being that it is still winter here and it was very cold and borderline rainy the whole weekend, it got canceled. But that's okay because I like exploring on my own, you almost feel like you figure out your way around a little better when you have to know how to get back and forth between places. 

Old Jewish Cemetery
Another accomplishment was using the metro here! Okay it's not a huge accomplishment seeing as it only has 3 lines and they're color coded hahaha but hey, if I can continue to move around cities and be comfortable on public transportation then I am excited. 

I think one of my favorite parts of the city was touring the Synagogues. My dad bought me a ticket so that I could tour all 6 of them and even go into the Old Cemetery and take pictures (which I find a little strange you have to pay extra for?)! Since Jewish people were exiled to only a small portion of the city and only allowed one piece of burial land they were forced to bury their dead one on top of each other sometimes as much as 10 people deep! I was walking behind a tour group as I was going through the cemetery and I heard the tour lady tell them that Although there are only (seriously, ONLY?!) 12,000 head stones in the cemetery, there are actually over 100,000 people buried there. I included a picture here so you could understand just how crowded this place really was. It was so sad to see especially when you compare it to the respect and dignity we are all allowed when burying our loved ones....at least a foot away from the person next to us and no one below or above us unless by choice. I wasn't allowed to take pictures in the Synagogues and being that I try to follow rules I listened to them and kept my camera tucked inside my jacket pocket. 

The Catholic Church
The Castle
One of the other really cool things we saw was the clock in Old Town Square changing on the hour. It's (one of?) the oldest Astronomical clocks in the world and not only does it play music, have figures moving on the side AND inside of the clock but after the hour strikes  there is a trumpet player involved. I think it's an experience you'll have to see for yourself. 

I'd love to upload more pictures and videos however I am currently experiencing computer problems and apparently my hard drive is now full. How did this happen again?! Alright, not the point of this post, I'll see what the "genius bar" tells me to do this afternoon. 

On a kind of side not but not really side not since I put a picture of it up....Castle's are SO COOL! This castle has been used and continues to be used for over 1000 years! That's so crazy but so awesome. We never did find out if they have a royal family or not though...I suppose I should have just googled it but perhaps one of you has the answer to that?!

Overall, Prague was a beautiful city and I will most DEFINITELY be making a return some day. 

Love From London,
Kristin


No comments:

Post a Comment