Monday 5 December 2011

Ich Liebe Bremen!!

Hi family and friends! 
I'm writing this with a happy heart as I just had a wonderful weekend in Bremen, Germany! It was a very busy weekend with lots of new friends, tons of sightseeing and general Christmas cheer! I left for Germany on Thursday evening after my class got out and after minor (ok annoying major) delays at airport security I was finally on board and ready for take off. I landed in Bremen around 930pm and found Thorsten right outside of customs. Although I'm officially fed up with Ryan Air I'm glad that they have their own little section of airport so no wandering aimlessly through terminals and baggage and what not for me. We headed back home via the "scenic route" aka we hopped on the wrong bus haha and were back at the apartment in about 45 minutes. After trying gluvein (mulled wine) for the first time and catching up a little it was off to bed! 
Friday morning I was lucky enough to sleep in until a little after 10am! For those who know anything of my sleep habits that is LATE for me. Thorsten was already off to work and I decided to have a lazy day watching movies I hadn't seen (Avatar) and eating what felt like 5 pounds of Christmas cookies his mom made me. They were unbelievably good and I even got to bring some home with me! I'm telling you....these cookies were serious Christmas cookies. Friday evening we were off to the Christmas market to meet up with friends. I got to try a few different types of gluvein AAAAAND I was even allowed to keep the cups I drank out of! I have a lovely collection of 3 cups now haha The Christmas markets were so magical, you guys. A cold evening, a hot drink, and everyone happily spreading Christmas cheer. This really should take place in the states. After the Christmas markets we bar hopped a little and ended up at one called the heartbreak hotel and another that looks like a real life cave when you walk in! It was SO neat. 
We handmade sushi for lunch on Sunday!
Saturday was very eventful as well and although all the sightseeing was SUPER awesome I think the funniest part of the day was the pajama party we went to that evening. It was funny to see so many people in so many different types of pajamas from footie pajamas (yes, like the ones I have) to slippers and boxers. Any excuse to wear my pajamas I'm not going to say no to! I made lots of new friends and even talked to a fellow Californian. It took us a while to be friends because he cheers for UCLA and I cheer for USC but we managed to be friendly enough hahaha
Swinging at the Science Center
Sunday afternoon we headed over to this really awesome interactive science center! We played around like kids for a couple of hours and even got to see the new laser show that recently started. Exhaustion was starting to kick in at this point so things like the maze you had to walk/crawl through in pitch dark seemed extra fun AND funny to me. I could have stayed there for hours....days even....so much to see and I can't wait to be back in the spring to go again. 
I feel very lucky to have been able to stay with Thorsten in Germany because traveling is so much fun when you have an insider perspective and get to do more than just typical touristy attractions. Not that I'm against that because who are we kidding, I LOVE being a tourist sometimes haha but it's fun when you have someone who knows short cuts through the city and how to use the buses and I think it takes a lot of the stress out of traveling. So thank you, Thorsten for showing me such a WONDERFUL time in an awesome country! 
I got caught taking just a littttttle nap while
 skyping after the pajama party hahah
On another note, I am getting very tired of London at the moment and can't wait to come home. Don't get me wrong, I've come to love this city but I miss having the simple pleasure of customer service. No one here cares about customer service and it drives me insane. I could go on about this for hours, especially after a few situations Thurs going to bremen and Monday coming back to London but I've dwelled on it enough and need to let it go. But as long as I'm on this topic....other things I desperately miss back home: I miss eating Mexican food 3 (ok 4) nights a week. I miss driving. I miss calling friends to catch up frequently. I miss the beach. I miss each and every one of you reading this. Before this post turns sad I'm going to sign off but I can't wait to catch you up soon on my brief time left in London this term. I am back to the states SO SOON! 

Love from London,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment