Wednesday 18 January 2012

Age Doesn't Matter....Right?

As I've mentioned in previous blog posts, the other students in my class are all much older than I am. It doesn't bother me and it's honestly quite helpful at time to have insight and perspective from people who aren't my age but today it made me laugh when I realized how far removed I was from a certain few of the much older crowd. My teacher was talking about a book he had read and said something along the lines of "this book was widely popular between 1940-1945 so I know many of you have heard of it...." and continued to talk about a book I had no understanding of and am still trying to figure out how it related to what we were talking about. (I tend to play catch up a lot in class). Now I'm not saying that anyone else in the class was following the purpose of bringing this book up in class but it seemed that those who chuckled to his analogy at least knew what he was talking about and why it was funny! Is it so wrong that I want to be in on the joke?!
Anywho, although I've decided that age range of the class doesn't matter I do feel as though it would be a small comfort to have more than one person to relate to in the class. Don't get me wrong, my friend Chris is great to have around but we are definitely more removed from certain discussions where we constantly have to try and look up words that are not in our vocabulary but seem to flow freely from others. Maybe I'll absorb the words as well and some day be able to throw things like paradigm shift or Pelagian Controversy into conversations I have over lunch as well.
Point of this post is to let you all know I had my second first day of school this term and I really, really liked the class. There were about 20 of us in this one as it is a required class for everyone going through this program---anyone doing the program full time or part time and in their second year. I'm looking forward to having lectures from several different respected teachers in the theology department and I'll keep you updated on how the classes seem to be shaping up in the next few weeks.

Love from London,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment