Sunday 30 October 2011

Wait....where did October go?!

I can't believe how quickly the time is going. I feel like I blinked and all of a sudden it is November! Not that I am complaining because I can't WAIT to go home for Christmas but it hit me this week just how much work I have to get done for school in the next 6-7 weeks. I still have a lot of reading to do for both of my classes and I still need a topic for one of my papers and....well more on that later because more important things to say on this special day....
HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY WONDERFUL BOYFRIEND, JAVIER RAMIREZ! 
It's a little bit sad to be so far away from family and friends on special occasions like birthdays, holidays and what not. I know at least that it is only for one year and then I will be back in the states and celebrating next year will be even MORE exciting! On a more exciting note, my mommy and sister are going to be here to celebrate our birthday in London! I am super duper excited to travel with them (I won't give away yet where we are going) and even more excited to have my twinnie with me on our birthday. I think it has been a lot of years since we have been together on our actual day of birth. 
This past week has been a busy one with lots of reading (always) and more time at the Imperial War Museum. On Friday though I was very happy to go to St Paul's Cathedral for the first mass since the church closed due to the Occupy movement going on outside its doors. I can't say I know enough about the movement to give my opinion on what is going on but I can say it is incredible how many people have organized outside the church. It was closed for one full week at a (supposed) loss of more than £20,000 each day the church had to keep its doors closed. There are approximately 200 or so tents set up in front of and around the church though they have peacefully agreed to shift as the church requests so they may keep their doors open to the thousands of tourists who flood their steps each and every day of the week. Now what else I don't understand is how other people see their position in this occupy movement that is sweeping the world. It honestly blows my mind that this is something happening to countries everywhere, it's not just a movement where people can say "oh those Americans...." or "what are those Brits doing...." (just to use the countries I currently identify with) but it's happening everywhere! I should take more time to read in to this whole situation but let's be honest....I'll probably just ask Alex and my dad as I do with all things political. 

On a lighter note....Halloween was a hit this year! I wasn't really sure if I wanted to do anything at all and I didn't want to spend any money on a costume I probably wouldn't want to waste precious suitcase space with later on when I go home but Sharlene convinced me there were plenty of fun things to do around the city and we couldn't waste a holiday in another country! (Thank you, Sharlene). After a night spent looking up clubs, events, and other things going on for this holiday where the British actually thank us for giving them something....we decided on a club called Brixton Electric. We weren't going to dress up but 2 hours before we left we were at Tesco, the grocery store below my apartment building, and....we saw cat ears. and masks. and tails. And so we became Tesco Kitties for halloween. hahaha we thought we were pretty funny and it was the perfect addition to the black dresses we were going to wear out that night anyways! We danced for a few hours and even though the dj didn't play one specific type of music it was a lot of fun. There was a lot of old music played and it felt an awful lot like high school dance music but that kind of made it fun because we were able to jump around and sing to music we knew! 
And tomorrow! To celebrate the actual day of Halloween I am going with Caitlin to.....A BRITNEY SPEARS CONCERT!!! I can finally let go of the fact that I wasn't allowed to go to shows/concerts as a kid because....I get to see Britney. Whom Caitlin and I both still happen to LOVE. (Thank you Laura Michelle for bringing me back to her Sophomore year of college.) I am beyond excited BUT I now need to go read, read, read since tomorrow night I will be out! 


Love from London,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment