Monday 7 May 2012

I run to be...committed

As I believe I mentioned in a previous post I have been frequenting the gym again! I love working out. I love running. I love being in shape and feeling healthy again! Except for when I am lucky enough to have visitors I go every single day which is more than I've ever been able to go to the gym but with so much free time I figure it's a good way to do something good for myself as well as begin to train. Train for what you might ask? Another Nike Women's Half Marathon!
New Shoes and New iPod
Now for those of you who witnessed me run it last time or heard me talk about it after and promised I would never do that again...well I lied. I have officially registered for another grueling 13 miles up and down the hills of San Francisco. The difference this time is that I have promised myself, my family, and Aubrey (who I am running it with again- this time I want to keep up with her) that I will train. Not only did I not train for the last one but I had been sick for a few days, had a fever the day of, it was raining, I was cold and by the end I could hardly run. I am proud to say that although my time was pretty terrible- I think it was over 2 1/2 hours- I did run all but about 5-10 minutes of it which is probably why I was in so much pain for months after. I learned my lesson and I am more dedicated and excited to be training for this event than ever! I have a new pair of running shoes and an awesome new iPod that my wonderful boyfriend got me that now has updated running mixes on it as well as Nike+! What Nike+ does is track your runs for you. You can tell it how far you want to run or how long you want to run, you hit start and every kilometer you run it updates you how far you have gone! It's really handy because last time I tried "training" I had largely over-estimated how far I was actually running each day. It's not my fault though really, if your training period is in Arizona during the summer you try telling me that 1 block doesn't feel like 1 mile AT LEAST! Anyways. I guess once I am back home this summer I will have to accept that I will be awaking at 4am to run and hike Camelback mountain again. Or maybe I'll just need to stay in California a lot of the summer....I know a few people who would be okay with that. I'm not sure my parents are part of those people though. ;)

So why do I want to run this half marathon? Why do I want to put myself through this again? Because I like a challenge. Because I like showing people how tough I can be. Because I want to be committed to something that I need to work my butt off for! Because I can. Plus, it doesn't hurt that at the end of the race beautiful men in tuxes will be handing me a Tiffany's necklace off a silver platter. Really though, it's for the challenge. hahaha!


Love from London,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment