Sunday 13 May 2012

I Have An Obsession With Spain

My latest adventures have taken me back to the beautiful, exciting, warm, sunny city of Barcelona, Spain and I don't even know how to start explaining the happiness this trip brought to me. For the past 2-3 weeks London has been rainy, cloudy and gray and I have wanted to be anywhere but here, counting down the days until I would touch down in Barcelona and finally feel the warm sun on my face. As the plane slowly descended into the El Prat Airport I saw the city bright with sunshine and my hand automatically reached out to touch the window which was surprisingly warming up as well. I immediately began to smile and for the next 3 1/2 days that smile never left my face!
After disembarking and making my way as quickly as possible through border patrol and customs I literally ran outside the first door I could find even though I had to catch the train in the exact opposite direction to get into the city. I just needed to see- no feel- the sun!
After a few minutes of that I found my way over to the train which was a quick 20 minute ride over to my hostel which I found easily using the directions from their website. Now when I told people I would be staying in a hostel by myself most were very nervous (as was I) but this hostel was not like other hostels I've seen. It was more like a hotel where you shared rooms (okay fine, that's what a hostel is- but it was fancier) and most of the other residents were adults. There were of course some kids about my age but the 5 other people in my room were all 35+ I would say. There was a place to lock up my bag and we had our own bathroom so we didn't have to walk down to a communal bathroom with all our things.
As soon as I figured out the wifi connection I contacted Aubrey's friend, Wences, who came and met up with me to begin the first of three days of touring the city! I can't express enough gratitude to Wences for playing tour guide for 3 full days. I would not have been or seen as many places as I did if it was not for him! When Aubrey first put us in contact and he asked me if there was anything specifically I wanted to see all I said was "the fountain that lights up and plays music!" hahah I didn't even know that this famous fountain was in front of the palace that I should be seeing. Silly Krisitn.
Anyways, Wences has a motorbike so we were able to move our way through the city even faster and more efficiently allowing us to take advantage of the few days I had in the city. He took me to the important squares and plazas, the castle, the palace with the fountain, on two cable car rides, the Gaudi Cathedral, to his home for some homemade dinner, the Gaudi Park, and what I am most excited about....THE BEACH! That is right folks, for the first time in months I had my toes in the sand and although I have returned to London sunburned I am not the least bit upset. I was so unbelievably happy to be back in the water even if it was slightly cold and after getting over my discomfort at the fact that most of the women don't wear bathing suit tops I laid back, closed my eyes and took a nap in the sand!
I don't think even I had quite realized how much I missed the ocean and the sand getting into every single thing I had with me and just the overall peacefulness of being near the sound of the ocean.
The Gaudi Park and Gaudi Cathedral were also absolutely stunning! The park was originally meant to be a city within a city. A place for the rich to live a part from those (quite literally) beneath them. It is set at the top of a hill/street and we climbed all the way to the top and sat to take in the view and enjoy some sun. It was a beautiful walk and even though the lower levels were overflowing with tourists I enjoyed our brief rest at the top where not quite so many people were willing to climb.
And the Cathedral...WOW. Just wow. It was so extraordinarily beautiful I can't even begin to explain to you the wonders of the work that has gone in to this beautiful building that has been in the works for over 100 years! We climbed one of the towers to the top and got some more beautiful pictures of the city as well as pictures of the construction. I'm hoping to go back someday when it is finished and take more pictures in the same places just to have a fun compare and contrast pictures.
Another favorite spot was the castle which until 2 years ago was still used as a military base! Makes sense since it overlooks the sea and city and you can see forever and ever but I sure am glad it is open to the public now. I think it is possibly the biggest castle I have yet been in throughout my trips and it was fun to spend time wandering the outside walls and playing with the old guns etc...we also had some ice cream with our sea view! Perfection.

I could honestly go on forever about the wonderful time I had here. Lots of tapas, lots of Sangria, a bar with live music, making new friends and finally enjoying some rest and relaxation!  Wences was so generous to put up with me for so many days and (if you read this) I hope you come to London or California one of these days so I can play tour guide!

This trip to Barcelona was exactly what my heart and soul needed to get back on track for school work. I suppose I am still a little distracted and have probably looked through all 300+ of my pictures many, many times now but I finally got the sun I was desperately craving and in just a short time I will be on my way to Greece to soak up some more of those glorious rays!

Love from London,
Kristin

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much for your words Kris!!!

    It's been a pleasure to share these days with you. I don't feel like if I played tourist guide. Some places that we visited was the first time that I went there, and others, as Sagrada Familia, was the first time after 8 years (it was completely diferent as you know...). Thus, I felt as a tourist in my own city. It's been an oportunity to rediscover Barcelona and the company was the best I could wish. I'm absolutely happy to HEAR that you enjoyed your time here and that you want to come back one day (I hope to share another jar of sangria when you come!!!). You're more than welcome!!!!

    I'll try to go to London during june, so start planning something,jeje :)

    Nice Blog, I'll keep reading your european stories.

    And remember: enjoy, enjoy and.... enjoy

    Petons

    Wences

    ReplyDelete