Sunday 15 April 2012

A Few Favorites

I haven't traveled anywhere new this week but with Javi less than 3 days from being here my travels are about to pick up again and I may not have time to update for a while. So, to make sure you all don't miss me too much I thought I'd share with you a few of my favorite blogs that I read constantly throughout my weeks. More so than ever as I have currently deactivated my facebook for a few days/weeks...we'll see how long it lasts.

The first blog I want to tell you about, POSTSECRET is my absolute favorite and I have been checking it religiously every Sunday for years and years. Alex and I first discovered the books around my sophomore (her freshman) year of high school when we were wandering around Barnes and Noble. (Quick side note: every Friday we would go to Desert Ridge and when there were no good movies to see we would wander from store to store until our last stop at B&N where we would spend aaages searching books to buy for that week. We would take turns every week buying a new book or two and then trading! It was a pretty sweet deal we had worked out. Hey Grapejuice, why don't we do that anymore?!) Anyways. So on one night we were actually looking in the music section for some reason I can't recall right now and we stumbled upon a Postsecret book that was tucked into the wrong shelf. We were immediately addicted and anxiously awaited each book to come out.
Postsecret was started by Frank Warren who was interested in learning about other people's secrets. He self addressed/stamped hundreds (a thousand?) postcards with instructions for people to write a secret of theirs on it and return it to him. Before he knew it thousands upon thousands of secrets were/are being mailed to him and the books were then born. As the books became more and more popular he started a blog and every Sunday (at midnight exactly- I know, because I often refresh my browser at 12:00 on the dot  to see the new secrets) he posts 15ish new secrets that he particularly enjoyed from that week. If it's near a holiday he will post a lot about people's holiday secrets/traditions etc... Anyways. I am so happy that Frank Warren came up with this experiment so many years ago and I'm happy to say I have been following it from essentially, the very beginning. The project is now 7 1/2 years old and going strong! I encourage you to check out the site and watch the most recent video about his project which went up last week. As of today over half a million secrets have been shared with Frank, making him one of the most trusted men in the world if you ask me!

The second blog I want to tell you about is MAKES ME THINK and I'm warning you now, it will make you tear up. The blog is for those who want to tell about events that happen in their lives that quite literally, make them think. Click on the link above and you'll understand what I mean. They are often touching, heartfelt, sincere and most importantly, they make others think as well. I can't tell you how many times a week I look at this blog and think "wow, my problems are so trivial" or  "that person has a good point." So many of them are about losing loved ones, a kind word from a stranger, or something embarrassing which made others laugh at them and each one reminds you that we are not alone. Everyone has day to day trials which make us think and when we share them with each other they help us feel not so alone.

The third blog I am obsessed with is DEAR PHOTOGRAPH and it is a blog that started off as someone posting six photographs from their past held up in their original setting. I can't remember how I came across this blog but I sure am glad I did! This is another one that often makes me tear up because pictures hold more sentimental value than we give them credit for. In this technology age we live in it's a miracle if pictures even get printed any more. I personally print hundreds of pictures a year but you all know how camera crazy I am. (plus, after my hard drive crashed and I lost, literally, thousands of pictures, I am happy to say that at least I have a few hundred of them in "hard" copy.) Scroll through this blog and you'll see how touching it can be as you imagine the feelings these pictures evoke from their owners and the happiness in sharing it with the world wide web.

I have a lot of time to myself over here in London and sometimes that makes me feel like I'm going crazy. Reading blogs like these three not only make me feel like I'm not the only one who struggles with certain problems or fears irrational things or has weird OCD habits but it is also enjoyable to get an idea of what goes on in other peoples' minds! It's fascinating and makes me wish I had more actively pursued psychology in my undergrad. Buuuut that's a whole other discussion for another time.
I know we're all really busy with school/work/life but I hope you have time to look through these three blogs at some point and enjoy them as much as I do! It's a much better time waster than Facebook or even Pinterest (AAHHH I can't stop pinteresting! I need help! haha)
Ready, Set, ENJOY!

Love From London,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment